8/22/2010

Sweet crépes and black forest hot chocolate.




My dream has always been to walk the streets of France with a hot crépe in hand oozing with warm nutella spread. But like I said, it's just my dream. Sadly the last time I was in France my husband had just bought a brand new Mercedes and what do you all think his "lovely" wife did? She pumped gas into the vehicle instead of diesel so we had to spend a cold night in a small French village. After that mess my husband was not in the mood to take me down no French street eating hot crépes, let me tell you. We were there a couple of days and that was it. I was lucky to eat a gas station "Croissant". Ok, so back to my recipe. These crépes are really easy to make and the black forest hot chocolate is simply amazing. I'm in chocolate heaven as I type.



Crépe recipe



Ingredients
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter (melted and cooled)
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla


Directions
In a medium bowl sift your flour, salt and sugar. Mix your flour with the eggs and 1 tablespoon or two of water. Mix until the batter is thick but smooth and clear of any lumps. Add your milk (1 1/4 cup), vanilla, melted butter, and oil. Mix well to combine until smooth and lump free. Allow your batter to rest for 30 to 45 minutes. After the batter has rested if you feel it's too thick add more milk. The batter should be pourable but not too liquid. When you're ready to make your crépes make sure the pan (non stick) is well heated under medium high heat before you pour the batter. Use a ladle to pour the batter into the pan and swirl the pan with the other hand. You'll learn as you go how far to fill up the ladle so that the batter just covers the bottom of the pan. Wait until the crepe has nearly cooked through before flipping. The second side of the crépe will cook in a few seconds, so keep a close eye. Stack your crépes to keep them warm. Eat with jam, nutella, whip cream, strawberries or with a filling of your choice.



Black Forest, hot chocolate




Ingredients
2 1/2 to 3 cups milk
2 teaspoons corn starch
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon chocolate ganache or nutella
1 tablespoon Maraschino cherry syrup

Mix all your ingredients in a heavy duty sauce pan and whisk until combined and hot. Serve in a coffee cup and top with whip cream or drink as is.


Please Excuse my poor photography skills, I'm fasting this month so the last thing I want to do is get creative with my pics. I just want to snap a quick one and devour what sits in front of me. :)

This is what I do once the cameras are off.

No comments:

© From Yeast to Zest 2010. All rights reserved