5/09/2010

Panna cotta al caffè (coffee panna cotta)





My husband bought me a box of gelatin sheets and asked me to make him his all time favorite Italian dessert "Panna cotta" both my husband and I are coffee adicts so what better way to make it than coffee flavored. I had never used gelatine sheets so I was a bit scared to ruin the dessert at first but good thing my husband use to make this dessert at his restaurant. When I asked him for a good recipe all he told me was 5 sheets of gelatine 1 litre milk/cream and the flavor and sweetness is entirely up to you. So I ran with his tips and what do you know? It made the perfect Panna cotta, not too soft not to thick. Just perfect!


Ingredients
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup strong brewed coffee
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 teasoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee plus 1 tablespoon
5 sheets of gelatine

Directions

Spray 6 small molds or about 8 mugs with cooking spray and sprinkle with coffee.
Soak gelatine sheets in cold water for approximately 5 minutes or until soft.
Mix all your wet ingredients in a med heavy duty pan over medium/low heat and wisk to a simmer or until sugar is disolved. Add your vanilla and 1 teasoon of instant coffee wisk and remove from heat. Squeeze the gelatin leaves to remove any excess water, then add them to the pan, stirring constantly about 30 seconds, or until the gelatin is melted. Pour the mix into your prepared molds and refrigerate for approximately 6 to 8 hours. Serve cold plain or with shaved milk, dark, and white chocolate.

To remove from the mold: Dip the bottom of the mold into a pot of hot water to loosen the panna cotta. Slide a knife around the edge, then carefully turn over onto a serving plate. (Food Network tip)





Photobucket

No comments:

© From Yeast to Zest 2010. All rights reserved