4/02/2010

Golden cornbread


This cornbread is so delicious and buttery I can eat it alone with nothing but a glass of milk. I'm not sure where I found the recipe but I've had it written down for a quite some time. I made it several times for my husbands family in Morocco and they loved it just as much as I do. Baking in a cast iron skillet is the best but as you can see in my picture any pan will work. I used a (non plastic handle) frying pan and it still turned out amazing and golden.


Ingredients
1/2 cup butter

1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup flour (white all purpose)
1/4 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I like to use olive oil)

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place oven rack on the middle rack of your oven.
Place butter into a large, heavy ovenproof frying pan or a cast-iron skillet in the oven until the butter is melted. NOTE: Heating the butter in the skillet until it's hot and melted before adding the batter guarantees a desirable crispness on the outer edges of the bread. While pan is heating and the butter is melting, prepare your cornbread batter.

In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, egg, and vegetable oil until well-blended. Pour into the hot, buttery skillet (batter will sizzle), return to the oven, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for approximately 5 minutes. Invert cornbread onto a large plate and cut into wedges





5 comments:

Twizzle said...

as-salaam aleikum wa rahmatullah,

no no no no no no no no no no NO NO NO!!!!!

You are killing me!!

why oh why???? LOL That looks SO delicious MashaAllah and I love cornbread! I make it almost just like that too!! Just a few minutes ago I was even looking in my fridge and saw cornmeal and started craving Hush Puppies--but I am eating healthy for now so I have to wait-- and wait... and wait till I can treat myself to something like this!

MashaAllah your came out beautifully! :D

Unknown said...

salam alaykum,
this looks yummy for my tummy :)

From Yeast to Zest said...

Wa Alaykum Salam,

Thank you all, this is trully better than cake. I love me some cornBread!

Twizzle said...

OMG you won't believe it!!

I JUST woke up from a dream--my sister came over to my place and I told her to come and try something... and she started saying "Oh my God, Oh my God" as I revealed to her THIS cornbread (just like in your pictures LOL) and I was all "oh, you know, you first pour the batter in a cast iron skillet that has hot melted butter in it before putting it in the oven to get this golden crust."

and then my alarm went off and woke me up before we tasted it!!!!!!!!

yep, this recipe of yours is calling my name... oh the temptation!!

LOL

From Yeast to Zest said...

Wa Alaykum Salam,

At least you have cornmeal, I haven't been able to find it again here in Madinah. :( I make the buttermilk cake the same way and oh it taste so good. Butter is better!

© From Yeast to Zest 2010. All rights reserved