6/10/2009

Safari cakes (Zebra)





A friend of mine sent me the link to a Blog with a zebra cake recipe, this cake recipe (idea) had me at first click. I've made tons of marble cakes in my life, but never got the idea of spooning batters on top of one another to see what I would come out with, I just simply swirled. Once I learn how to add links I will give you all the link to the lady whos Blog I got the idea from. I call it idea because my ingredients are a little different, I just sort of stoled the method. Can you blame me?

Ingredients

2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup oil
1 cup yogurt
2 tablespoons cocoa powder

Topping...

You can get creative with the topping IF you choose to frost your cake. I covered my cake with chocolate ganache and sprinkled with coconut. I tried to make zebra lines on it as well.

Tips...
Use a creamy non gelatine yogurt and Dutch processed cocoa powder for best TASTE results.
Have two medium bowls and 2 tablespoon ready to pour your batter in once it has been mixed.
Grease and dust your pan with flour before you begin to prepare your batter.
Have everything at hands reach, make sure you work fast, if the batter sits out too long it will not rise as well.

Heat oven to 350*

In a bowl sift together your flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
In a large bowl with and electric or hand mixer beat your eggs, vanilla, and sugar until light and creamy, gradually add your oil until mixture thickens and the oil has been well blended into the mix. Add your yogurt and mix well. Now you can add your dry ingredients (minus the cocoa) to your egg and sugar mix in 3 seperate portions, mixing until combined but carefull not to overmix batter. Divide your mix in two seperate bowls, add 2 tablespoons of cocoa to one bowl, mix well until the cocoa has well blended but again be careful not to overmix your batter.
In a well greased and dusted round cake pan add 3 tablespoons of your vanilla batterin the center of the pan now add 3 tablespoon of chocolate batter on the center of the vanilla batter. Keep adding 3 tablespoons of batter on top of one another. DO NOT try to fix the batter, it will eventually fill your pan once your done spooning both batters on your cake pan. Carefully place your cake pan in preheated oven, bake for approximetly 35-45 minutes or until cake/knife test comes out clean.


zebra print Pictures, Images and Photos

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know where you got the recipe from. I just saw that blog today actually and loved the idea.

From Yeast to Zest said...

It is a great Idea but unfortunately that other recipe didn't work for me, the batter was too runny to keep the design but sometimes ingredients can be different from country to country and I was in Morocco when I tried her recipe. :)

© From Yeast to Zest 2010. All rights reserved